It is very common that after losing significant amounts of weight, the skin begins to sag, and often the change is most apparent on facial skin. The amount of sagging depends on multiple factors such as the amount of weight lost, a person’s age and genetics, and of course lifestyle choices. In general, the older you are the less elastic your facial skin becomes and your DNA influences how much firmness your skin retains as you age. Cigarette smoke and UV rays are known to prematurely age facial skin and it is best to avoid them as much as possible.
Sagging skin is never welcomed especially if you have turned your life upside down to lose unwanted fat deposits. It can take a long time to get into a good exercise routine and a healthy diet and it is frustrating that after you have succeeded in reaching your goals you have to deal with sagging facial skin.
If you have lost a significant amount of weight you may experience sagging jowls, neck and cheeks. This is because the facial skin cannot conform to the new shape since its elasticity has been damaged.
The elasticity of the skin depends primarily on how long a person has been overweight. Contrary to popular belief, the time it takes to lose the weight doesn’t play such a major role. What matters most is how long the person was overweight and for how much time the facial skin was stretched. The longer it was stretched the less likely it is to regain its previous texture and smoothness.
Dr. Marie Jhin M.D., a San-Francisco based dermatologist offers this helpful analogy- “It’s like a balloon. When you first blow up a balloon, it’s really small and tight but when it’s deflated, it doesn’t return to its original shape”.
Here are a few tips that limit the amount of sagging facial skin after weight loss:
- Facial skin exfoliation: exfoliate your skin at least once a week to remove dead skin cells. The exfoliation increases the blood circulation which stimulates the production of new collagen fibers. The collagen fibers increase your skin’s elasticity and firmness.
- Build muscle- find the time to build muscle tone. Your body will place healthy and toned muscles where the fat tissue once was. Furthermore, by building strong and sturdy muscles, the facial skin has a firm foundation to lie on.
- Limit exposure to UV rays- the sun’s rays destroy the collagen in the facial skin and cause it to age prematurely. Skin that has been overexposed to the sun is often more wrinkled and pigmented. Therefore, use sunscreen whenever you go out in the sun and don’t forget to reapply it every two hours.
- Produce: include in your diet as many fruits and vegetables as possible. These contain vitamins and minerals which your skin needs to strengthen itself and become firmer. Vitamin’s A and C for skin are especially important since they help to build collagen.
- Eliminate cigarette smoke- the chemicals in the cigarette smoke cause the skin to be less resilient and reduce the collagen levels in the skin. As a result, deep wrinkles appear and the skin loses much of its elasticity.
- Stay hydrated- it is important that your skin cells are well hydrated since the dehydration affects the cells and leaves them shriveled and inflexible.
The NowMi facial treatment at home is also an excellent way to limit sagging facial skin. The facial treatment contains an effervescent tablet with pure vitamin C, and perform 4 actions simultaneously: exfoliation, nutrition, oxygenation and facial skin protection. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that protects the facial skin from harmful UV rays and helps the skin to repair itself and rebuild new tissue. In addition, the treatment also infuses the skin with vitamin E and hyaluronic acid which restore its firmness. Finally, using the NowMi facial treatment you provide your skin with a superior exfoliation mechanism that deeply cleanses all of the pores, increases the blood’s circulation and stimulates collagen production.
Click here for more information on the NowMi treatment.