Many people suffer from oily skin. Research shows that between 40-55% of adults aged 20-40 have oily skin. The good news is that in most cases it is very manageable. If you adopt a skincare routine that includes deep cleansing and proper moisturizing, you can keep the levels of oil on your face balanced, and enjoy healthy and radiant skin.
What is oily skin?
Our skin produces oil in order to keep it supple and moisturized. If it doesn’t produce enough oil our skin becomes dry, and if it produces too much, it becomes oily. In scientific terms, the oil is called sebum and it is made by the sebaceous glands located within the skin.
The oil is secreted through the pores. In balanced skin, the oil lubricates the skin and removes dead skin cells and other waste from the pores. However, if the sebaceous glands produce too much oil, the skin has a shiny appearance and often the pores become clogged (often leading to pimples and acne).
Oily skin is largely genetically determined. If one of your parents has oily skin, chances are you will too. In some cases, oily skin develops as a result of hormonal changes- puberty, pregnancy and menopause influence the sebaceous glands and they can become more active during these periods.
How to care for oily skin?
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends the following tips for caring for oily skin.
- Wash your face regularly. It is recommended to wash your face at least twice a day in order to remove the excess oil. It is important that the cleansing is thorough yet gentle. If you scrub your skin too hard you can irritate it or dry it out. This can lead to the body creating even more sebum in an attempt to keep the facial skin moisturized.
- Use blotting papers. Blotting papers help to absorb the excess oil on your face. Make sure not to rub the paper on your face since this just spreads the oil to other areas.
- Choose facial skincare products that are ‘oil-free’ and ‘noncomedogenic’ and avoid alcohol-based cleansers. Noncomedogenic means that the products have been formulated so that they don’t block the pores. By choosing water-based vs. oil-based products, you can decrease the amount of oil on your face. Alcohol can irritate and dry out your skin so it is best to avoid alcohol-based products.
- Apply moisturizer daily. In addition to washing your face, you must simultaneously hydrate it so that it doesn’t dry out. It is recommended to use a moisturizer that also has sunscreen.
- Wear sunscreen. Like all skin types, oily skin needs to be protected from damage caused by the sun. UV rays cause premature skin aging such as the early appearance of wrinkles and dark spots. It is recommended to choose a sunscreen that has zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and avoid those that contain fragrance or oils.
- Choose oil-free and water-based makeup and don’t sleep with makeup. With oily skin you need to be extra careful when it comes to makeup. You need makeup that won’t clog your pores or irritate your skin. Importantly, you must thoroughly remove all makeup every evening. This way your pores can breathe and function properly.
The NowMi Oily Skin Facial Treatment
The NowMi treatment is a two-in-one solution that can help you balance your oily skin and give it a clean and healthy look. The treatment performs two functions- daily cleansing and weekly facial. The treatment is water-based (not oil-based) which makes it ideal for oily skin. Best of all, you can perform the treatment in only 5 minutes in the comfort of your own home.
As mentioned above, daily cleansing is very important when it comes to caring for oily skin. The NowMi Pro is equipped with small silicone bristles upon which the NowMi cleansing gel is applied. The gel is then massaged into the skin.
The NowMi Pro also employs sonic energy to enhance the cleansing effect. The sonic energy ensures that the NowMi cleansing gel penetrates all of the pores and thoroughly cleanses them. According to research, cleansing your skin with sonic energy is 6 times more than hand washing.
In addition to cleansing the skin, the NowMi gel contains vitamins B3, B4, E and Dead Sea minerals which nourish the skin: The cleansing gel includes vitamins B3, B4 and E and Dead Sea minerals which nourish the skin:
- Vitamin B3: Vitamin B3, also known as Niacinamide, has a wide variety of skin benefits – it is an antioxidant that protects the facial skin from harmful UV rays, it reduces hyperpigmentation by blocking melanin transportation and is an effective anti-aging remedy that reduces wrinkles and pigmentation spots.
- Vitamin B5: Also known as Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B5 deeply hydrates the skin and helps it absorb moisture from the air. It also plays a role in promoting skin softness and smoothness. Most importantly it has skin rejuvenation and repair attributes.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps the skin protect itself from pollution, stress, smoke, unhealthy food and more. The skin contains a lot of vitamin E which emphasizes its key role in nourishing and protecting the skin. Vitamin E is also known for slowing down the signs of aging, hydrating the skin and reducing scars.
- Dead Sea minerals: The Dead Sea, located 1,200 feet below sea level, is considered the richest source of healing minerals in the world. The Dead Sea water contains 32% salt, compared to 3% in ordinary salt water, and has high concentrations of 21 minerals (12 of which are not found in any other sea or ocean). Some of the main minerals used to treat the skin are zinc, calcium, chloride and sodium chloride.
The NowMi Weekly Facial includes 4 actions to help you limit oily skin- exfoliation, nourishment, oxygenation and protection.
Exfoliation: The exfoliation deeply cleanses the skin and is performed using the vitamin C effervescent tablet. When the tablet is combined with the lubricant gel, small particles on the surface of the tablet begin to dissolve and they exfoliate the skin. This exfoliation is delicate yet effective. It removes all of the dead skin cells, accumulated sebum and dirt, and leaves the pores clean and open.
Nourishment: During treatment the skin is infused with vitamin C, E, and Hyaluronic acid.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that works wonders on the skin. It has been scientifically proven to rejuvenate the skin, help it repair itself and protect against UV and other extrinsic damage. Additionally, vitamin C plays an important role in the formation of collagen which helps to significantly slow down the signs of aging.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E is an antioxidant that slows down the aging process. It helps the body to curb free-radicals and thus limits skin damage caused by UV rays, pollution and smoke. Vitamin E also hydrates the skin and helps it heal faster.
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid is naturally produced by the body and helps the skin to lock in moisture. It is capable of holding one thousand times its weight in water and therefore keeps the skin moist and hydrated.
Oxygenation: The NowMi treatment is unique since it stimulates the body to ‘oxygenate itself from within’. This is achieved by using a scientific principle called the ‘Bohr Effect’. In short, during the NowMi treatment, millions of C02 bubbles are formed on the skin’s surface and the body reacts by sending oxygen-rich blood cells to the area. Because of the oxygenation effect, the active ingredients are best absorbed by the cells and the effectiveness of the treatment optimized.
Protection: The NowMi treatment replenishes the skin’s supply of vitamins C and E. These powerful antioxidants help the skin to protect itself from free-radicals. Free-radicals are formed by extrinsic factors such as UV rays, smoke and pollution. They damage the skin’s cells and cause premature skin aging. With the NowMi treatment, the skin is less vulnerable and can maintain its youthful appearance for longer.
The NowMi oily skin facial treatment is ideal for those with oily skin. On the one hand it ensures that the skin is thoroughly cleansed. This is done using the daily cleanser and by exfoliating the skin once a week. On the other hand, the skin is infused with vitamin and minerals that help it look its best- vitamin E, B3, B5 and Dead Sea minerals in the daily cleanser and vitamin C, E, and Hydraulic acid in the weekly facial. The treatment takes only 5 minutes a day and can be performed in the comfort of your home! Try it today and see how you can transform your oily skin into balanced, healthy and glowing skin!
Additional reading: Facial for oily skin