Our bodies are wondrous! Even after years of cigarette smoking, once you quit, your body immediately begins to heal. One of the first places that you can see and feel the difference is your facial skin. According to a study conducted in South Korea, marked improvements in the skin’s color can be measured within just four weeks!
What happens to your skin after you quit smoking?
Once you quit smoking, your body starts to undo the damage caused by cigarettes. Specifically,
1. Vitamins are restored to the skin– When you smoke, your body is bombarded with toxins- carbon monoxide, tar, cyanide, formaldehyde and other harmful chemicals. As a result, the brain sends a signal to divert vitamins away from your skin to other organs that need them more. The skin is then deprived of nourishing vitamins, especially vitamin C, and it is unable to function properly. This is manifested in premature aging, increased pigmentation and uneven skin tone. Once you quit smoking, the skin’s supply of essential vitamins is restored and it begins to revitalize and repair itself.
2. The skin cells receive the oxygen they need– Our skin is made up of several layers- Epidermis, Dermis and Hypodermis. When you smoke, the Nicotine reduces the blood flow, and this severely damages the Dermis. The Dermis is critical because it is the scaffold that gives the skin its firmness and resilience. Once the cells receive less oxygen, the skin tone changes and becomes paler and yellower. It also becomes dryer and flakier and is more vulnerable to damaging external factors such as overexposure to the sun and pollution. As soon as you quit smoking, the skin cells begin to receive the oxygen they need and start to function normally. As mentioned above, within a month you should expect the color of your skin to improve.
3. The skin begins to produce normal quantities of collagen and elastin– Collagen and elastin are proteins which are vital to the skin. Collagen provides the skin with its strength and elastin is the source of its elasticity. When you smoke, these proteins are damaged by the toxin chemicals in tobacco smoke. As a result, the skin begins to age prematurely. Very commonly, fine lines and wrinkles form around the mouth because of the pursing of the lips during smoke inhalation, and wrinkles form around the eyes because of repeat squinting (the eyes close in order to keep out the smoke). Once the body starts to produce new collagen and elastin the skin begins to look and feel better – it becomes firmer, tighter and regains its natural glow.
Is the damage reversible?
Skin recovery after quitting smoking is a very individual process. It is a function of how many years you smoked, genetics, diet, level of sun exposure etc. Here are some important skincare tips you should adopt once you have quit smoking:
1. Wear sunscreen– Broad-spectrum UVA and UVB sunscreen will protect your skin and prevent the sun from destroying the new collagen in your skin.
2. Nourish your skin– Apply creams and serums that contain antioxidants. Vitamin C stimulates collagen production and vitamin E is incremental in skin healing.
3. Exfoliate frequently– Skin exfoliation removes dead skin cells and send a message to the brain to produce new collagen.
4. Consume fish-oil supplements– Omega 3 can help reduce inflammation, accelerate healing and help the Dermis retain more moisture.
Skin recovery after quitting smoking with the NowMi treatment
The NowMi treatment is the perfect solution if you want to revitalize your skin after you have quit smoking. The NowMi Pro device performs two skin actions – daily cleansing and a weekly vitamin C infusing facial. The treatment takes only 5 minutes and can be performed in the comfort of your home.
The NowMi Pro daily:
The NowMi Pro daily enables you to deeply cleanse your skin. In addition to the cleansing gel, the NowMi Pro device uses sonic energy which emits 6,000 pulsations per second. Combined they ensure that each pore is thoroughly cleansed. In addition to the cleansing action, the NowMi gel infuses the skin with vitamins E, B3, B5 and Dead Sea minerals which strengthen and revitalize it.
The NowMi Pro Weekly:
The NowMi Pro weekly performs 4 skincare actions – exfoliation, nourishment, oxygenation and protection.
Exfoliation: The skin is deeply exfoliated using an effervescent tablet. The tablet is combined with the nourishing gel and easily glides over the skin. The exfoliation stimulates the production of collagen and also removes all dead skin cells, dirt and oil. Most importantly, it sends a message to the brain to produce more collagen.
Nourishment: The NowMi treatment infuses the skin with vitamin C, E and Hyaluronic acid. After you quit smoking, the best thing you can do for your skin is replenish its supply of these active ingredients which enable it to heal and reinvigorate itself.
The vitamin C found in the NowMi treatment has the highest degree of potency. The reason is that it is vacuum packed and shielded from air and water. If vitamin C is exposed to air or water, it loses its effectiveness, and you should be cautious of vitamin C products that come in reusable bottles or tubes. Vitamin C works wonders on the skin- it is incremental in the production of collagen, it limits the formation of pigmentation and it gives the skin a young and glowing appearance.
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that protects the skin and helps it heal. It also hydrates the skin and reduces scars.
Hyaluronic acid is capable of holding 1,000 times its weight in water and plays a major role in keeping the skin moist and lubricated.
Oxygenation: When you smoke, your facial skin cells are deprived of oxygen. To counter this, the NowMi treatment enables you to deeply oxygenate the cells “from within”. The treatment uses a scientific principle called the Bohr effect. The Bohr effect states that when the body needs to ward off an excess amount of carbon dioxide, it does so by using oxygen. Therefore, during the NowMi treatment, a layer of carbon dioxide bubbles is produced on the skin. As a result, the body sends oxygen-rich cells to the treatment area and by default oxygenates all of the cells. This process is completely natural and pain-free and reinvigorates the skin cells. It also enables them to best absorb the infused nutrients.
Protection: Vitamin C and E are powerful antioxidants that protect the skin. By replenishing the skin’s supply of these vitamins, the skin is able to fight free radicals and limit damage caused by sun exposure.
Skin recovery after quitting smoking can be relatively fast. Within a few weeks, its coloration improves and slowly it begins to feel softer and smoother. In order to expedite the healing process, you should nourish it with reinvigorating vitamins. Additionally, by increasing the amount of oxygen in the cells, you can help them function normally. The NowMi treatment enables you to do all of this in a fast and simple home-based treatment. Try it today and see the difference for yourself.
Additional reading: Skincare for smokers