Oxygen facial treatments have become a ‘gold standard’ in skincare. Celebrities swear by them and many people have them on a regular basis to slow down the signs of aging and keep their skin looking fresh and radiant. Until recently, oxygen facial treatments were limited to professional spas, but with the NowMi treatment, you can enjoy all the benefits of a spa-quality treatment in the comfort of your own home!
How does the NowMi device for oxygen facial treatment at home work?
The scientists that developed the NowMi device were faced with a challenge- to create an oxygen facial treatment that was as powerful and effective as a professional spa treatment. Spas use an aesthetic device that emits pressurized oxygen which is then applied onto the facial skin using a small spray gun.
The NowMi uses a completely different mechanism to oxygenate the skin. It uses the same facial skin oxygenation mechanism used in OxyGeneo professional spa treatments. The OxyGeneo treatments were first introduced in 2013 and have been scientifically and clinically proven to revitalize the skin.
The way it works is that instead of oxygenating the facial skin externally, the NowMi treatment stimulates the body to oxygenate itself from within! The mechanism is based on a scientific principle called the Bohr effect. The Bohr effect states that if the skin has an excess amount of carbon dioxide then it counters this by sending oxygen-rich blood cells to the area. During the NowMi treatment, the vitamin C effervescent tablet is combined within the NowMi gel and massaged into the skin. When these two ingredients are mixed, a chemical reaction occurs which produces millions of minute carbon dioxide bubbles. The body immediately responds and bombards the treatment area with oxygen.
The oxygenation effect does wonders for the skin. Oxygen has been shown to:
- Revitalize facial skin cells: All cells need oxygen to function. Unfortunately, facial skin cells, especially in mature skin, do not get enough oxygen. The reason is that the capillaries often get clogged and the transfer of oxygen decreases. This results in paler and more fragile skin. Once the cells receive the amount of oxygen they need (and even more) their functionality increases, and the skin regains a more youthful complexion.
- Increased collagen production: Collagen is a protein that provides the skin with its structural strength. When we are young, our body produces high quantities of collagen, but as we age, it produces less and less. As a result of the decline, the skin begins to sag, and wrinkles form. The oxygen stimulates the body to create new collagen which helps the skin to repair itself and which slows down the signs of aging.
- Faster cell turnover: Skin cells have a limited lifetime. Once they die, they are replaced with new cells. Oxygen plays a critical role in cell regeneration. It increases the rate at which new cells grow and the cell turnover rate. The newer cells give the skin a fresher and more youthful appearance.
To achieve the best skin rejuvenation results, in parallel to the oxygen, spa treatments infuse active ingredients into the skin. The exact formula is determined by the aesthetician based on the needs of each patient.
NowMi’s scientists chose 3 active ingredients that have been clinically proven to revitalize and heal the skin- vitamin C, E and Hyaluronic acid.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that protects the skin from free radicals. Free radicals are unstable atoms that damage the skin’s cells. They injure the cells and often cause cell death. Free radicals form as a result of overexposure to the sun’s UV rays and from pollutants, and are the number one cause of premature skin aging. Vitamin C helps to neutralize the free radicals and thus protect the skin.
Vitamin C plays a critical role in the skin’s natural regeneration process. It has been proven to be an integral part of collagen synthesis and thus helps the skin to repair itself. Furthermore, vitamin C inhibits the skin’s melanin production and therefore limits the formation of unwanted pigmentation (such as sun/age spots). It also helps to clear away existing pigmentation and give the skin a more uniform texture.
The main issue with vitamin C is that as we age, the levels of vitamin C in our skin decreases significantly. Mature skin is said to have 70% less vitamin C than young skin! As a result, it is important to infuse the skin with vitamin C in order to slow down the signs of aging.
A less known fact about vitamin C is that not all vitamin C serums/creams are effective. The reason is that the biologically active form of vitamin C is ascorbic acid, and ascorbic acid is a very unstable molecule. As soon as it is exposed to light or oxygen it rapidly degrades and its color turns from white to a yellowish-brown. Once it has degraded it loses its potency and its ability to heal the skin. This means that when you see a vitamin C serum or cream and its color is yellow or brown, the product has been exposed to air and light and is no longer effective. The NowMi vitamin C however, is sealed until use. The seal protects the vitamin from air and light and ensures the most potent levels of vitamin C.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is naturally found in the body. Like vitamin C it is a potent antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals. Furthermore, vitamin E has been proven to heal the skin, especially when it comes to scars and burns. It is also a natural anti-inflammatory which enables it to soothe and calm the skin. Vitamin E also hydrates the skin and prevents it from drying out.
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid, also known as hyaluronan, is a substance naturally produced by the body. Its primary function is to retain water and it is capable of holding 1,000 times its weight in water! Hyaluronic acid plays a major role in keeping tissues moist and well lubricated and as a result, the skin looks and feels more supple.
Exfoliation: Facial skin exfoliation is an important part of any professional oxygenation treatment. The exfoliation removes the outermost layer of the skin that includes dead skin cells, oil and dirt. The NowMi treatment exfoliates the skin using a vitamin C effervescent tablet. The tablet has a slightly coarse texture and when it is gilded over the skin it exfoliates it and deeply cleanses all of the pores.
Protection: The NowMi treatment infuses the skin with vitamins C and E. As mentioned above, these are powerful antioxidants that protect the skin. Therefore, the NowMi treatment helps you protect your skin against UV rays and other extrinsic factors such as pollution and smoke that damage it.
Advantage of the NowMi device for oxygen facial treatment at home
We live in a fast-paced world and most people do not have enough time in the day to fit everything in. For many, going to a spa requires a lot of organization- scheduling in a few spare hours, travelling to and from the spa, and if they are parents, they might need to hire a babysitter.
Professional oxygen facial treatments are also costly. A singular treatment ranges from $150-300 and usually with repeat maintenance treatments can cost between $2,500 to $5,000 a year.
The NowMi device enables you to enjoy a spa-quality vitamin C oxygen facial in the comfort of your own home. The treatment takes only 5 minutes and you can fit it into your existing skincare routine. Best of all, it costs a fraction of the price of its spa equivalent.
Oxygen facials are a great way to slow down the signs of aging and enjoy radiant and glowing skin. The treatment used to be only available in spas, but thanks to the NowMi treatment, you can now enjoy it in the comfort of your own home. The treatment is fast, incredibly pleasant and leaves you skin looking younger and fresher. Try it today!
Related article: Vitamin C for anti-aging treatments