Cigarette smoke takes its toll on facial skin. The chemicals inhaled inhibit the amount of oxygen the skin cells receive which makes the skin appear duller and paler. Nicotine itself causes the skin to dehydrate and have a dry look and feel, and the repetitive cigarette puckering action causes small lines to form around the mouth. However, with the right skincare routine you can limit the negative effects of cigarette smoke on your skin! The key lies in nourishing and hydrating it.
Revitalize your skin with vitamin C
When you smoke, you inhale over 4,000 harmful chemicals. The chemicals cause the body to produce fewer red blood cells and reduce the oxygen flow in the body.
One of the manifestations of this is the narrowing of the capillaries. Capillaries are the smallest vessels in the body. They play an important function – they transfer oxygen and other nutrients and minerals from the bloodstream to tissues in the body and collect carbon dioxide and waste materials from the cells. Once the capillaries narrow, the blood’s circulation is hindered. This leads to slower cell healing and may cause cell death. Frequently, the cells don’t receive enough oxygen and nutrients which causes the skin to lose its glow and become duller and discolored.
Furthermore, the lack of nutrients often results in the formation of dark spots on the facial skin. For example, the skin is less able to protect itself from sun damage and sunspots appear more easily.
The chemicals also harm the collagen and elastin in the skin. Collagen and elastin are the main proteins that provide the skin with strength and elasticity. When they weaken, the skin begins to wrinkle and sag.
In order to counter these predicaments, what you need is vitamin C! Vitamin C is a miraculous vitamin that:
- Helps the skin create new collagen and prevents degradation of existing collagen. The collagen firms the skin and prevents premature aging. It also enables the body to repair itself from damage caused by cigarette smoke.
- Restores the skin’s vitality. The vitamin provides the skin with a youthful and radiant appearance.
- Limits the formation of unwanted pigmentation and provides facial skin with a more even and uniform texture.
- Protects the skin. Vitamin C helps the skin fight free-radicals and limits the formation of sunspots.
Counter dehydration with Hyaluronic Acid
Nicotine is diuretic. This means that it stimulates the body to increase its production of urine which in-turn promotes dehydration. In addition, as mentioned above, the facial skin cells receive less oxygen and nutrients which results in drier skin.
One of the best ways to hydrate your skin is by infusing it with Hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is an essential chemical naturally produced by the body. Its primary function is to retain water and it can hold 1,000 times its weight in water! It helps facial skin cells remain moist and hydrated which gives the skin a supple complexion.
Exfoliate to prevent the formation of blackheads
Cigarette smoke clogs up the pores and causes blackheads. The T-zone, which is the area of the face that runs across the forehead and down its center, is especially susceptible. It is therefore important to cleanse your face daily and exfoliate it on a weekly basis.
The NowMi Treatment- the best skincare for smokers
The NowMi Pro facial treatment is an excellent solution that can minimize facial skin damage caused by smoking. The NowMi Pro skincare for smokers routine consists of two parts- daily facial cleansing and a weekly nourishing facial.
Daily cleansing: The NowMi cleansing gel thoroughly cleanses the skin. It is used in combination with sonic energy which exponentially increases the effectiveness of the gel and ensures that each pore is deeply cleansed. In addition, the cleansing gel infuses the skin with vitamins E, B3, B5 and Dead Sea minerals which strengthen and revitalize it.
The NowMi Pro facial treatment performs 4 actions simultaneously- skin exfoliation, nourishment, oxygenation and protection
1. Exfoliation– During exfoliation, the outermost layer of the skin is removed. The exfoliation clears away all dirt (including cigarette smoke residue), makeup and dead skin cells.
2. Nourishment– The NowMi treatment infuses the skin with pure vitamin C, vitamin E and Hyaluronic acid.
- Vitamin C: The vitamin C is delivered in the form of an effervescent tablet. Unlike other vitamin C enriched serums and creams, the vitamin C used in the NowMi treatment is sealed until use. This guarantees the most potent delivery of the vitamin. The reason is that once vitamin C is exposed to air or light it is damaged and loses its effectiveness. More than any other vitamin, vitamin C can revitalize and repair damaged facial skin cells.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps the skin to protect itself against cigarette smoke, pollution, UV rays and more. The skin contains more vitamin E than any other nutrient. Vitamin E has many anti-aging benefits and also hydrates the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid prevents skin dehydration and provides it with a supple and healthy look.
3. Oxygenation– the NowMi skincare for smokers treatment can give your skin what it needs the most- oxygen! The NowMi treatment uses a scientific principle called the Bohr effect to stimulate the body to send oxygen rich blood to the treatment area. The NowMi treatment creates a carbon dioxide rich environment on the skin’s surface and the body responds by infusing the cells with oxygen. The added oxygen reinvigorates the skin’s cells and increases circulation.
4. Protection – Vitamin C and E protect the skin from damaging extrinsic factors such as UV rays, cigarette smoke and pollution. By replenishing the skin’s supply of these vitamins you can reduce the amount of damage caused to the facial skin.
Smoking harms the facial skin and changes its complexion. It causes it to look dull and dry as well as age prematurely. These effects can be significantly reduced by deeply cleansing the skin and infusing it with vitamin C and Hyaluronic acid. The NowMi skincare for smokers routine does just this. Best of all, treatment takes only 5 minutes and can be performed in the comfort of your home.
Related blogs: What happens to your facial skin after you quit smoking?