Our skin is sensitive. It is sensitive to changes in temperature, humidity, climate etc. For this reason, it is important to be aware of our skin type and to adjust our skin care routine if we notice that there is a difference in the way our skin looks and feels. A classic example of this is taking care of oily skin in wintertime. The cold weather, reduced humidity and constant change between heated and unheated environments take their toll on the facial skin. So here are a few tips on how to take care of oily skin in wintertime.
Tips for caring for oily skin in wintertime
1. Wash: During the winter, humidity levels drop because cold air holds less moisture than warm air. Because of this, you might feel that your skin is less oily, and you may use less blotting paper on your facial skin than in the summer. However, chances are that your sebaceous oil glands are still producing an excess amount of oil and because of the changes in the weather it just feels different. Therefore, you still need to manage the excess oil, and in order to do so, it is recommended that you wash your face twice a day. If you feel that your skin is more delicate during the winter months, choose a creamy face wash over a harsh medical cleanser.
2. Exfoliate: The excess oil on your skin often clogs up your pores. Not only that, the oil mixes with dirt and dead skin cells on the skin’s surface which leads to pimples, blackheads, acne etc. By regularly exfoliating your skin you can deeply cleans it and remove all excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells. The exfoliation enables the skin to maintain a healthy texture and eliminates the “shiny” look it may have. It is recommended to limit exfoliation treatments to 1-3 times per week in order to avoid rashes.
3. Moisturize: Even though it may seem that because oily skin produces more sebum than normal facial skin you don’t need to add moisture, you do! Since you are cleansing it often, it is important to make sure it is moisturized and balanced. If not, the body will only produce more sebum to compensate to the perceived dryness. It is recommended to use a water-based moisturizer and not an oil based one since oil-based products can make your skin oilier.
4. Apply sunscreen: Even though it is winter, it is very important to protect your skin from the sun. Overexposure to the sun’s damaging UV rays can cause the skin to dry, and in response the body produces even more sebum. The UV rays also contribute to premature aging of the facial skin and disrupt the production of collagen and elastin.
5. Hydrate and eat healthy: Maintaining a healthy diet does wonders for your skin. It is recommended to drink between 8-10 glasses of water a day in order to keep your body hydrated and to clear away toxins and bacteria from the body. The foods you eat also play a critical role in how your skin looks. If you suffer from oily skin try to avoid greasy and oily foods and increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables.
The NowMi treatment for oily skin
The NowMi vitamin C oxygen facial treatment enables you to easily care for your oily skin in wintertime. With the NowMi Pro device you can:
1. Deeply cleans your skin on a daily basis
2. Exfoliate it on a weekly basis
3. Moisturize it with vitamins and minerals to ensure it is hydrated and balanced
4. Protect against damaging UV rays
The NowMi Pro device performs 2 actions- daily facial skin cleansing and weekly skin rejuvenation.
The NowMi Pro enables you to deeply cleanse your skin on a daily basis and get rid of accumulated oil (most people with oily skin usually need to cleanse their face at least twice).
The NowMi Pro has a designated surface with soft silicone micro-fingers. Onto this surface you apply the NowMi cleansing gel and then massage it into your face.
The NowMi Pro device uses sonic energy to enhance the cleansing effect. The device issues 6,000 pulsations per minute which helps the cleansing gel to penetrate all of the pores and thoroughly cleanse them. It has been scientifically shown that cleansing your facial skin with sonic energy is up to six times more effective than washing your face with your hands.
The cleansing gel not only cleanses the skin, it also infuses it with vitamins E, B3 and B5 and Dead Sea minerals which nourish and hydrate it. Here is a short description of what they do:
- Vitamin B5: Also known as Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B5 deeply hydrates the skin and helps it absorb moisture from the air. It also plays a role in promoting skin softness and smoothness. Most importantly it has skin rejuvenation and repair attributes.
- Vitamin B3: Vitamin B3 is a powerful antioxidant that helps the skin protect itself damaging UV rays. It blocks the transport of melanin and therefore reduces hyperpigmentation. The vitamin is also known for its anti-aging qualities since it reduces wrinkles and limits the formation of pigmentation spots.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is renowned for its antioxidant capabilities. It protects the skin from free radicals caused by UV rays and other extrinsic factors such as smoke and pollution. The skin contains high levels of vitamin E which emphasizes its key role in nourishing and protecting the skin. Vitamin E is also known for slowing down the signs of aging, hydrating the skin and reducing scars.
- Dead Sea minerals: The Dead Sea, located in Israel, is known for its therapeutic minerals. The minerals most often used to treat the skin are zinc, calcium, chloride and sodium chloride.
The NowMi Pro weekly facial does wonders for oily skin. The treatment consists of four actions performed simultaneously: skin exfoliation, nourishment, oxygenation and protection. The effectiveness of the treatment is greatly improved by sonic energy which optimizes each action. The best part about the NowMi Pro treatment is that it enables you to perform a spa-quality treatment in the comfort of your own home in only 5 minutes!
1. Sonic exfoliation: The exfoliation is performed using the NowMi vitamin C effervescent tablet which has a slightly coarse texture. When the tablet is massaged into the skin, it gently exfoliates it and removes all excess oil, dead skin cells, makeup residue and dirt. The exfoliation also opens up the pores and enables the optimal absorption of the active ingredients.
2. Sonic Nourishment: During the NowMi Pro treatment, the skin is infused with vitamin C, E and Hyaluronic acid.
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is ideal for oily skin since it nourishes and hydrates it. It is also a highly effective anti-aging antioxidant that protects the skin from sun damage and other extrinsic facts such as pollution and dirt. Furthermore, vitamin C is an anti-inflammatory nutrient that prevents skin aggravation and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E plays an important role in skin hydration, nourishment and healing. The vitamin helps to calm the skin and prevents the formation of scars. Like vitamin C, vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects the skin from photoaging and premature aging of the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid: The primary function of Hyaluronic acid is to lock in moisture and prevent skin dehydration. As mentioned above, it is important to cleanse the skin but not to strip it of moisture. The Hyaluronic plays a major role in keeping the skin moist and well lubricated and preventing it from drying out.
3. Sonic Oxygenation: The NowMi Pro uses a scientific principle known as the ‘Bohr Effect’ to naturally oxygenate the skin ‘from within’. The Bohr Effect states that when the skin has a high concentration of C02, the body responds by sending oxygen to the treatment area.
During the NowMi Pro treatment, the chemical reaction between the vitamin C effervescent tablet and the lubricant gel creates a rich C02 environment on the surface of the skin. In response, the body sends oxygen-rich blood cells to the face. As a result of the oxygenation, the active ingredients are optimally infused into the cells.
4. Sonic Protection: The #1 cause of aging skin is overexposure to the sun. The NowMi Pro infuses the skin with vitamin C and E which are highly effective antioxidants. When the skin contains high levels of these vitamins it can protect itself from the damaging effects of UV rays and prevent premature skin wrinkling, sagging and pigmentation.
If you suffer from oily skin in wintertime, the NowMi treatment can be an ideal solution for you. The treatment enables you to deeply cleans your skin on a daily basis, exfoliate it on a weekly basis, keep it highly moisturized and also protect it from harmful UV rays. Best of all, the treatment takes only 5 minutes and you can perform it in the comfort of your home. Try it today!
Recommended reading: oxygen facial for oily skin